September 11, 2001
Timeline: Page 2
- NORAD scrambles two F-16 fighters from Langley Air Force Base, Virginia.
- American Airlines Flight 77 crashes
into the west side of the Pentagon.
- An operator receives a cell phone call from a passenger on United Airlines Flight 93
, who reports that the flight has been hijacked and that the passengers are going to fight back.
- The FAA orders all airborne aircraft, over 4500, to land at nearest airport.
- The White House's West Wing and the U. S. Capitol are evacuated.
- Scrambled Jet fighters reach Washington, D.C. area.
- President George W. Bush leaves Sarasota, Florida.
- The south World Trade Center tower (2 Tower
- United Airlines Flight 93 crashes
near Shanksville, Pennsylvania.
- A walled section of The Pentagon
- The north World Trade Center tower (1 Tower
- New York's primary elections are postponed.
- Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat makes a statement offering condolences.
- New York Mayor Rudy Guiliani orders the evacuation of lower Manhattan south of Canal Street.
- The United Nations is completely evacuated.
- President George W. Bush lands at Barksdale Air Force Base.
- Los Angeles International Airport, destination of three of the hijacked airplanes, is closed and evacuated.
- San Francisco International Airport, destination of United Airlines Flight 93
, is closed and evacuated.
- The FAA reports that only 50 flights remain airborne.