Here are background profiles on some of the countries that have been caught up in the backdrop of the events on and after September 11th:
- The Taliban government is known to welcome Osama bin laden and other terrorist organizations.
- Has been tied to bin Laden's al Qaeda terrorist organization;
- Tensions with US coalition ally Pakistan over Kashmir makes them important to the US War on Terrorism.
- Neighbor of Afghanistan; at odds with Taliban regime, but not a friend of the US either.
- One of the three countries to recognize the Taliban government; circumstantial evidence ties Iraqi intelligence to al Qaeda, bin Laden and the attacks of September 11, 2001.
- Focal point of Mideast tensions; US support of Israel has angered Muslims;
- Neighbor of Afghanistan; strong supporter of the Taliban, but became important member of the US coalition.
- As remnant of the Soviet Union, the country has ties going back to the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan; gave weapons and supplies to support the Northern Alliance against the Taliban.
- Home of Mecca, the religious capital of Islam;
- Former home of Osama bin Laden;
- Neighbor of Afghanistan; many ethnic Tajiks live in Afghanistan and opposed the Taliban;
- Neighbor of Afghanistan; many ethnic Uzbeks live in Afghanistan and opposed the Taliban;