Contact Info
Links/Resources
Site Map
Site News
Site Search

Message Forum Archives

English or British!?

Posted by King George III on August 29, 2001 at 03:48:51:
In Reply to: Re: Concerning Vietnam posted by Bill on Aug. 28, 2001 at 05:04:02:

I don't understand what this comment means?
By the way, Scotland and England (including Wales), have been united under the same monarch since 1603 and politically by the Act of Union of 1707. Ireland was added by the Act of Union of 1801. In short, to refer to England and the English as a nation distinctly separate from Scotland, Wales or Ireland after 1603 is technically incorrect, a mistake that most Americans seem to make. Currently, your nationality is British whether you're born in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.
I've also even noticed that official American news broadcasts describe the inhabitants as English and Scottish, etc., instead of British...

Posted by Pat Henry on August 29, 2001 at 04:31:20:
In Reply to: Eng or Brit!? posted by King George on Aug. 29, 2001 at 16:37:51:

Here in the US oftentimes folks are labeled as Northerners or Southerners, or Pennsylvanian, or Texan. So, refering to Brits as English seems to less confusing to us Americans. I believe this to be a hang over of pre-Civil War America, when all States were concidered independant and able to opt out of being under the rule of the U.S. Constitution. This is what I concider the greatist evil from our Civil War.
FYI I am a huge States Rights fan.

Posted by Bill on August 29, 2001 at 16:11:08:
In Reply to: Re: Eng or Brit!? posted by Pat Henry on Aug. 29, 2001 at 04:31:20:

I am going to have to agree with Pat. Because I live in a town in a township, in a county, in a state in a country, I have many offcial residencies. This one may just be a difference in symantics. Is there the same brake down in Briton? The next logical question for me is, what then is the definition of the United Kingdom as the Brittish define it?

PatriotResource.com original content and design Copyright © 1999- Scott Cummings, All Rights Reserved. Privacy Statement