August 14 - Thomas Sumter is born on the Virginia frontier.
- Thomas Sumter serves as a Sergeant of the militia in the Cherokee War, but does not see action.
- Thomas Sumter marries Mary Jameson.
August 30 - Thomas Sumter's son, Thomas Sumter Jr., is born.
- Thomas Sumter raises a band of militia with the rank of Captain. November - Thomas Sumter serves in Snow's Campaign against Tories.
1776 February - Thomas Sumter becomes Lieutenant Colonel of the 2nd Rifle Regiment of the South Carolina militia. June 28 - Thomas Sumter is present at the Battle of Fort Sullivan in Charleston, South Carolina, but does not see action.
- Thomas Sumter and his regiment are reserves during the Williamson Campaign against the Cherokee and see no action.
- Thomas Sumter and the 2nd Rifle Regiment are commissioned into the Continental Army under Maj. General Robert Howe.
1778 September - Thomas Sumter resigns his commission in the Continental Army and returns home.
1780 May 28 - Thomas Sumter rides to Salisbury, North Carolina in order to raise a militia. June 15 - Thomas Sumter is named Commander of the South Carolina state militia with the rank of Colonel. July 30 - Thomas Sumter is defeated at Rocky Mount, South Carolina. August 6 - Thomas Sumter and Major William Richardson Davie defeat Tories at Hanging Rock, South Carolina. August 17 - Thomas Sumter and his militia are surprised by Lt. Colonel Banastre Tarleton at Fishing Creek, South Carolina. October 6 - Thomas Sumter is promoted to Brigadier General. November 9 - Thomas Sumter defeats British regulars at Fish Dam Ford, South Carolina. November 20 - Thomas Sumter defeats Lt. Col. Banastre Tarleton at Blackstock's Ford, South Carolina, but is seriously wounded.
Related Items Available at eBay - Scroll for additional items